The Palmetto SeniorCare (PSC) Home and Community Based Waiver (HCBW) is a Federal Medicaid and Medicare program serving recipients in the greater Columbia area (Richland and Lexington counties) who are age 55 or older, are certified by the Department of Health and Human Services to have met the nursing home requirements for the State of South Carolina, and wish to remain in the community. Palmetto SeniorCare is the only PACE Program (Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) in the state, and the only project directly structured as part of a hospital organization. Palmetto Health Richland Hospital, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and the State's Department of Health and Human Services jointly sponsor the program. Participants receive all services either directly from PSC staff health care professionals or through subcontracted health care providers. Many of the services provided are centered in five Adult Day Health Centers.
Once enrolled in the program, all services are provided by Palmetto SeniorCare rather than by individual providers under the traditional fee-for-service system. If the participant is eligible for Medicare and/or Medicaid, Palmetto SeniorCare takes the place of the standard Medicare and/or Medicaid programs. This is made possible through a special agreement Palmetto SeniorCare has with Medicare and Medicaid. The only payment made by Medicare and/or Medicaid for the care the participant needs will be one payment each month to Palmetto SeniorCare. A participant's special monthly payments will depend on eligibility for Medicare and/or Medicaid or their eligibility for Veterans Affairs (VA) PACE.
A participant's personal care team will work with the participant and family members to decide what services best meet his or her needs. All services offered through Palmetto SeniorCare are planned and authorized through an inter-disciplinary team. The team assesses each participant individually, develops and implements the care plan, and monitors progress, modifying the plan as necessary.
Services may include the following
· Adult Day Healthcare - Services such as nursing, social work, physical, occupational and speech therapy, nutritional and personal care are provided in our community-based centers. There also are meals and snacks, and recreational and social activities. Transportation is provided.
· Primary and Specialty Medical Care - Palmetto SeniorCare provides direct physician services. Primary care services are provided by Palmetto SeniorCare physicians. In addition, a variety of medical and surgical specialists are available to assure that all of the participant's healthcare needs are met.
· Women's Care Specialist Services are available when needed.
· Outpatient Medical Services - Outpatient services such as laboratory tests, X-rays, and other tests are provided as part of Palmetto SeniorCare's program. Prescribed medicines, artificial limbs, durable medical equipment, vision care, psychiatric care and hearing services are available when needed.
· Hospital Patient Care - Hospital services are provided by Palmetto Health Richland. These include a broad range of semi-private medical, surgical, intensive care and coronary care programs, and testing and support services required for appropriate care.
· Home Health Care - This special set of services provided in the home includes skilled nursing and doctor visits; physical, occupational and speech therapy; medical social services; home health aide; homemaker/chore assistance; and home delivered meals.
· Nursing Home Care - Nursing home services include semi-private room and board, doctor's visits, medical social services, and medical supplies and appliances.
· Health-Related Services - Transportation, escort services and help with financial management are available.
Additional information is available from the Palmetto SeniorCare website at http://www.palmettohealth.org/facilities/richland/departments/seniorcare.html, or call (803) 931-8175.
Point of entry for the program is through the Community Long Term Care (CLTC) Area Office. A list of contact information for each CLTC area office is available at http://www.dhhs.state.sc.us/cltc_offices.htm.
Medicaid Program - Home and Community Based Waivers Overview
Medicaid Program - Services
Medicaid Program - Non-Financial Eligibility
Medicaid Program - Financial Eligibility
Medicaid Program - Overview
WorkWORLD™ Help/Information System
Share/Save: Click the button or link at left to select your favorite bookmark service and add this page.
This is one topic from the thousands available in the WorkWORLD™ software Help/Information System.
Complete information about the software is available at: http://www.WorkWORLD.org
See How to Get WorkWORLD page at: http://www.WorkWORLD.org/howtogetWW.html
NOTE: Sponsored links and commercial advertisements help make the WorkWORLD™ website possible by partially defraying its operating and maintenance expenses. No endorsement of these or any related commercial products or services is intended or implied by the Employment Support Institute or any of its partners. ESI and its partners take no responsibility for, and exercise no control over, any of these advertisements or their views or contents, and do not vouch for the accuracy of the information contained in them. Readers are cautioned to verify all information obtained from these advertisements prior to taking any actions based upon them. The installed WorkWORLD software does not contain advertisements of any kind.
Copyright © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, Virginia Commonwealth University. All rights reserved.